Wednesday, November 25, 2015

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Hello, my Fellow Animal Enthusiasts!

Thanksgiving is TOMORROW!! And as I'll be caring for approximately 80 dogs, 20 cats, 3 bunnies, and an African Grey Parrot...I thought I'd wish you all a happy holiday today! :)

And in honor of this holiday (also known as Turkey-Day!) I thought I'd try and make us morally-conflicted animal lovers feel a bit better by focusing on the majestic Wild Turkey (free from domestication and extra fattening and our greedy grasps like the Domestic Turkey; which I too am very guilty of enjoying...) and learn a little something about this wild & misunderstood beauty!! :D


THE WILD TURKEY
Turkey's are EXTREMELY smart and social creatures; much like dogs in their affection with each other! They each have individual voices and can recognize each other by the vocal differences (SO cool!!). They are also GREAT with directions and geography! They can memorize the precise details of areas over 1,000 acres large!! Brilliant little birds, they are!
And quite colorful as well! Not only can the male's feathers be a multitude of colors (sometimes even very similar to peacocks!) but the bare skin on their neck and head also changes to varying shades of red, blue, and white based on their level of distress or excitement!! (AWESOME!!!)
Wild Turkey's can even fly!! Oh, yes! They have anywhere from 5,000 to 6,000 feathers; and by-golly, they know how to use 'em!! :P They can fly at (up to) 55 mph! Only at short distances...but still...that's better than I can fly! (...please forgive me for that... ;) ) They actually primarily roost in trees! Amazing! The more you know! :D

It's been fascinating learning about these majestic creatures! Benjamin Franklin actually wanted the Wild Turkey to be the National Bird of the United States! And, I mean, we all love our Eagles...but I think the Turkey would have done a stellar job too! :P 

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving; and appreciate, love, and enjoy your turkeys and any and all of the delicious food you consume with family and friends this holiday!!!


I hope you have a FANTASTIC week, readers! Stay awesome!!

All the very best,
-Al :)

No comments:

Post a Comment