Saturday, December 12, 2015

Hello, December!!

Hello, my Fellow Animal Enthusiasts!

December of 2015 is HERE. Can you believe it!?!? I'm not ready!!!


Well...I AM ready for snow (New York City is WAY too hot still!!)...but the year can't be over yet!! Haha...BUT...this is still a great time of joy and holiday cheer! And due to all the rabbit-guests we've recently had at the job; I've been thinking of the wild day-old bunnies my friends and I rescued from a lawn-mower on our college campus, and of all the baby rabbits that live near my parents (that they are ALWAYS aware of when pulling out of the drive-way. :) ), and of ALL the birds, cats, dogs, squirrels, rats, and aaaaalll the critters my family and friends have saved and helped over the years, and will continue to! It's a great time to be thankful and give and care for those without a voice...and I'm happy to do my part everyday! :D


ANY-who, haha...bit of a holiday-tangent there. :P Let's meet the bunny-guests I've had the pleasure of caring for recently! :D 

I LOVE Bushwick The Rabbit!! So Beautiful!!


Snowball Is Well Trained...And SO Soft!! :D
George Is SET UP!! :D He Has Such Personality!!
























And on the topic of rabbits and December...I thought I'd do a segment today on the EXTREMELY gorgeous and fascinating creature...

The Snowshoe Hare





These b-e-a-utiful hares are a bit larger than rabbits and have longer hind legs and ears (like most hares), but the specific Snowshoe Hare is so named due to the pattern that their particularly large and furry back legs leave in the snow, as they are made to quickly and easily move atop the snow in the winter!! AWESOME!! :D

Their coat also changes from golden-brown, for hiding in the brush during the spring and summer...to bright white for hiding in the snow in the winter!! It changes on every hare, every year!! It takes about ten weeks for the coat to completely change color... ...SO cool! I wish I could camouflage myself like that... ;) 










Which it's GREAT that they can hide so well and move so quickly...as they have MANY predators...including the lynx, fox, coyote, and birds of prey. These little guys gotta run!! (And of course...they themselves are total herbivores...feeding at night on trees and brush. :) )





Though they primarily live in Northern regions and near mountain ranges, they can survive in many different climates...AND they only need their mother for ONE MONTH before they can start living on their own!! These furry beauties are SMART and adaptable and just great creatures! Nature is pretty badass sometimes, isn't it?? ;)


I know that the holidays, for some of us, have already begun (and are almost over!) and for some they are getting closer and closer!! Whatever you may celebrate, I hope you have a FANTASTIC holiday season and enjoy being with your beloved family members; of ALL species!! (And maybe some of you will get lucky and see a Snowshoe Hare in the snow this winter! :D ) May your holidays be FILLED with human-&-animal-love!! 





I hope you have a FANTASTIC week, readers! Stay awesome!!

All the very best,
-Al :)

No comments:

Post a Comment